You should change jobs when…Thursday, May 17, 2007
Do you feel like you deserve a little better? Are you not being challenged enough? Well, then perhaps it’s time to move on. Maybe a new boss, different company, perhaps even a new career. Whatever it may be, you know you should change jobs when…
- You take the longer way to the bathroom. You know, past the windows. So you can see the outside world.
- You get excited when the fire-alarm goes off. Either everything is going up in flames or you just earned a 15 minute paid break.
- You get coffee twelve times before noon. Hey, the more walking, the less work. And the more coffee, the more bathroom breaks.
- You feel accomplished when you take home office supplies. Especially by accident. What an awesome surprise. A free pen!
- You go to lunch at 2:00pm. Not because you’re working too hard but because you know when you get back you’ve only got an hour or so until quitting time.
- You start parking further and further away. “Well, I made it to the office parking lot by 8:00, but the walk put me in my chair at 8:09. I think that means I get to leave 10 minutes early, too.”
- You check your co-workers’ schedules to avoid confrontation. “It looks like my boss has a meeting from 4 to 5… I bet I could slide out at 4:30.”
- Mandatory time off sounds good. Who needs to get paid? At least you’re not at work!
- You use Outlook’s ‘Do not deliver before’ option. Nothing says ‘good employee’ when you spend Friday afternoon scheduling a few emails to go out on late Saturday night.
- You make lists about changing jobs… at work.